OBJECTIVE: Seeking freelance writing, editing and graphic design projects.
CAREER SUMMARY: With 20 years of experience as a business communicator, Lynn B. Schramek established LBS Communications in 1996 to provide freelance writing, editing, design and public relations services. She has worked for a worldwide industry leader, two Fortune 500 companies, several non-profit organizations, a state department of education and a marketing services firm. She has extensive experience in:
- managing employee communications, public relations and marketing communications programs
- writing, editing, designing, and coordinating the print production of newsletters and other publications
- managing projects
- desktop publishing
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
LBS COMMUNICATIONS, (Pittsford, New York, and Bradenton, Florida) Public Relations and Publications Consultant (11/96-present): Develop and implement marketing and public relations plans, including writing, editing and designing newsletters, brochures, booklets, postcards and other publications. Clients have included ACC Corp., Advanced Safe & Lock, Girl Scouts of Genesee Valley, High Falls Brewing Company, Hillel of Rochester Area Colleges, Jewish Federation of Greater Rochester, Lifetime Assistance, NPF Greater Rochester, Preferred Care, Time Warner Communications and Wilson Commencement Park.
CORRECTIONS CORPORATION OF AMERICA (Nashville, Tennessee) Director, Publications and Employee Communications (2/92-11/96): Produced publications, including a bimonthly employee newsletter, to promote the company’s strengths, accomplishments, goals and values to employees, shareholders, as well as current and prospective customers. Wrote news releases and articles for national trade publications. Developed and oversaw the administration of employee recognition programs designed to boost employee morale and productivity. Produced marketing presentations.
- Produced publications designed to enhance the company’s reputation as the industry leader in private sector corrections.
- Developed a Facility of the Year Contest to help employees focus on the company’s priorities and to recognize excellence in quality of service, financial performance, community relations, employee relations and safety.
OHIO DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION (Columbus, Ohio) Public Information Officer (4/90-10/91): Developed and implemented a marketing plan designed to increase positive awareness of Ohio’s public school programs both statewide and nationally. Strategies included writing daily news releases, calling reporters regularly, responding to media inquiries, and arranging media conferences and regular talk show appearances.
- Gained extensive, positive front-page coverage in Ohio’s metropolitan daily newspapers announcing a new statewide proficiency-testing program and the appointment of a new state superintendent.
FEKETE + COMPANY (Columbus, Ohio) Public Relations Director (1989-90): Implemented media relations and marketing communications campaigns.
- Gained extensive feature coverage for the agency’s clients in both print and electronic media.
JCPENNEY CASUALTY INSURANCE COMPANY (Westerville, Ohio) (1985-89) Customer Communications Coordinator (1987-89): Promoted to manage a customer communications program. Responsibilities included producing printed materials to promote the company’s products and services, in cooperation with JCPenney Financial Services’ Marketing Communications Department in Plano, Texas.
- Created a newsletter to educate customers about loss prevention.
- Increased the percentage of customers who renew with the company from 85.4 percent to 90 percent by improving customer communications.
- Received an award for outstanding efforts in improving customer communications.
Associate Communications Coordinator (1985-87): Was hired into this newly created position to develop and implement an employee communications program, which included producing weekly and biweekly newsletters and daily bulletin board announcements, as well as planning monthly management communication meetings.
BLUE SHIELD (Worthington, Ohio) Communications Specialist (6/84-12/84): Wrote a variety of publications, including newsletters, handbooks and marketing materials.
OHIO SCHOOL BOARDS ASSOCIATION (Westerville, Ohio) Associate Director/Communications (1983-84): Edited the monthly OSBA Journal; served as the association’s public information officer, which included writing news releases and planning media conferences; as well as planned and promoted seminars for school board members and school administrators.
- Initiated a statewide public service announcement program on educational excellence in Ohio.
COPCO PAPERS, INC. (Columbus, Ohio) Corporate Public Relations Coordinator (1979-83): Edited a bimonthly employee newsletter; wrote news releases for local and national paper trade publications; coordinated the production of marketing materials; coordinated sales promotions, meetings and training/motivational programs; and wrote sales bulletins.
- Generated positive local and national publicity when the company moved and expanded.
THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY, Columbus, Ohio Supervisor, Public Relations, Ohio Union Music Room (1976-78)
EDUCATION: Bachelor of arts degree in journalism/public relations, The Ohio State University (1978)
AWARD: 1989 Distinguished Communicator of the Year, Columbus, Ohio, Chapter, IABC; President (1984-85): Award recognizes the communicator who has made outstanding contributions to the community and the communications profession.